Friday, December 21, 2007

Hey! Diddle, Diddle

Hey! diddle, diddle,
The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed
To see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.
Oh my Goodness!!!
So the Christmas season is here and it's been an eventful season. I'm homebound right now, so this has been interesting to say the least. Last year, Reggie and I did the craziest thing... we did BLACK FRIDAY! For those of you who don't know what Black Friday is... think about your college days when you used to pull all nighters... well, Black Friday is an all nighter of shopping. You leave the house at 3:00a.m. and arrive at the department stores or mall at 4:00 a.m. and SHOP TILL YOU DROP! If you're still unclear just Google "Black Friday" and see the amazing sales... 80% off 57 inch Sony Trinitron Flatscreens, 85% off appliances, electronics, clothes, etc... there's nothing like it.

This year we had a change of plans. Olivia Adora came and so here we are... spending our whole Christmas season staring at an 18 inch ball of joy. Who woulda thunk?

We're so tired... but we're having so much fun. Right now as I recuperate from the birth I have the opportunity to spend time with Olivia and Xavier. I can't believe how much fun it is to have two children. I'm not gonna lie, it's tough too. I still can't figure out how to "run in and pick something up". You know, that thing we all take for granted... the ability to go. Just "go".

Yesterday I thought to myself: "I want to go to CVS. I just want to run in and pick up a little tube of ointment for Olivia." Such a simple task. In fact, as I was going through it in my head, I was getting excited. I'm homebound right now and suffering from severe cabin fever. So I took the thought to another level and, in my head, I was walking through the mall, then running to the bookstore, after that I would go grocery shopping, and cap off my day with some nice, fresh maki rolls and sushi. But... right now, I just needed some ointment. That's all. A smile gathered at the corners of my mouth as I saw myself finally getting out of the house. Then I realized... "how in the world do I do that?" and "is it worth it" to get the baby fed, dressed, pack the diaper bag, find someone to help me carry the car seat to the car (since I just had surgery three weeks ago), strap her in, drive to CVS, get her and the diaper bag out of the car... I was exhausted by the time my thought bubble popped.


So...



I didn't go.

In spite of all that, I'm still having such a good time. I can't get over how much fun she is. I forgot how much satisfaction a parent gets just from staring at their kid. Xavier is past the "staring" stage. He's the comedian, the creative director of the family. Who knows what role Olivia Adora is going to play... right now, she's definitely the producer. She's calling the shots. All she has to do is squeak, and we come running.






No comments: